Sunday 6 March 2011

Lost in Translation

I was visiting my parents yesterday and was showing my Mom something on her computer.  I needed her to see what I was doing so I called to her saying "You need to be here by me".  She rushed into her study with a fly swatter because she thought I was saying "There's a bee here by me".  We laughed so much at the misunderstanding, but it made me think of how many other messages become lost and mixed up in our lives.

If I don't paint often enough then the same miscommunication happens between my brain and the canvas.  I know exactly what I want to paint, but from when the idea leaves my brain till it's on the canvas, the message somehow gets lost.

The only way to keep that messenger trained is to practice your craft as often as you can, whether it be playing an instrument, singing, writing or as in my case, painting.  I've read about many artists who paint something every day.  I understand why, because every time you place paint down, you learn something new, you discover a new way of doing something. 

So In my attempt to do something a bit more often than I have been, I did this painting on board. It is 60 x 40 cm in size.  It isn't of any place in particular, it is just inspired by the beautiful coastline of the Eastern Cape. 

In the meantime I'm still busy on the portrait, it is driving me a bit crazy at the moment.  I will post a photo when I am happier with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. Your comments are always most welcome.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...